Bonus & pay issues
Pay is not just what puts food on people’s tables and clothes on their backs. It is also a mark of progress, status and their level of esteem within the organisation and the world beyond. No wonder then, that pay can give rise to a few legal issues now and then!
Pay issues can arise at any stage in the employment relationship. Crucially, at the start of the relationship, the sought-after executive is usually in a fairly strong negotiating position. This is often the ideal time to ensure not only that the starting salary is suitable, but also that the terms applying to salary reviews, bonuses and other forms of remuneration are as favourable as possible.
We assist executives in the following ways:
- Reviewing and negotiating contractual wording for pay and bonus or commission schemes
- Advising on the legal aspects of pay structures, including as regards potential equal pay claims
- Advising on legal challenges to pay and bonus decisions, including on grounds of discrimination and failure to exercise discretion in good faith
- Advising on the operation of deferred remuneration schemes, including LTIP, share option and restricted stock schemes
- Advising on pay issues in connection with termination of employment, including pay in lieu of notice and bonus issues
- Advising on pay issues on joining, including guaranteed bonuses, compensation for loss of remuneration from a previous employer and “golden hellos”.
- Advising on issues concerning clawback of bonuses, deferred pay and/or equity for regulatory reasons and/or under contractual arrangements
- Advising on holiday and sick pay issues
- Acting for executives in all pay-related claims in the Courts and Tribunals